In today’s consumer savvy world, there’s always something to worry about. Are we eating too much red meat? Does flying increase deep vein thrombosis? Is there a link between children’s behaviour and screen time?
But there’s one recent health scare that caught our attention, and it’s not to be sniffed at…
Are Deodorants Safe?
A recent study suggested that there could be a potential link in deodorant usage and breast cancer. It is said that aluminium salts can plug sweat ducts (hence stopping us sweat), and that the product is easily absorbed into our skin.
A quick google search will show you arguments for and against the case, including Cancer Research, who say: “There is no good evidence that aluminium in deodorants could increase the risk of cancer in animals or humans.”
Whatever your stance, the real question is whether we should be using natural deodorants anyway?
If you’re considering the switch, here’s a few things to consider:
- If a deodorant omits ‘antiperspirants’ it may not mask odours as
well – something to consider on hot summer days, or for those with a propensity to sweat.
- Some ‘switchers’ report that it takes time to adjust to natural products. Some leave residue, others feel ‘wetter’. But as with any transition, it’s about finding a product that works for you.
- Natural products may not last as long, although there’s your excuse to spruce up at lunch time!
- Keep in mind that a lot of natural products use botanicals such as lavender, sage and aloe-vera, which aren’t to everyone’s taste.
- People with sensitive skin (or armpits) may find they respond better to natural products.
- On the whole, natural deodorants are more likely to be cruelty-free than their chemical counterparts.
- For those of you who prefer to let their body do its thing, a natural product may be for you – after all, we’re supposed to sweat!
There’s a growing demand for natural organic deodorants, with lots of great choice.
However, with its orange and vanilla tones and long-lasting staying-power, OY! Is one of our favourites. Plus, it’s free from all the nasties, including aluminium, alcohol and artificial fragrance.
Add it to your shopping bag for £8.95 from our online shop here.