Working too hard and need an escape? Let top notch spa treatments and indulgent wine tastings put you in a blissful state on this retreat in sunny Portugal.
Where is the Duoro Valley and What Does it Offer?
Located in a sunny pocket of Portugal’s northern region, the rolling green landscape of the Douro Valley is dotted with vineyards, historic manor houses and peaceful walking trails.
Only 1.5 hours drive from Porto and 4 hours from Lisbon, this region is the ideal place to relax and recharge. It has it’s own micro-climate, which not only boost the quality of the wines but also means that temperatures are sunny and pleasant all year round.
The ideal spot to stay is the Six Senses Douro Valley resort, a romantic and tranquil boutique hotel set within acres of wooded estate.
Why Stay at Six Senses Resort?
The Six Senses Douro Valley Resort is set within a gorgeous 19th century manor house located high on a hill overlooking the tranquil rolling green hills of the valley and the sparkling river below. The resort has 41 guest rooms, 7 villas and 9 suites, some with their own private pools.
Six Senses is a hotel brand known for their elegant and luxurious resorts in Asia, but this hotel seamlessly blends into it’s Portugese setting with its use of oak and gray limestone, breezy terraces, farm
house-chic decor, muted colour palette and abundant natural light.
Life at the resort is pretty sweet – guests are pampered with a spa, superb restaurants, a wine library and a stunning swimming pool. You can even take a workshop to learn how to make hand painted traditional style Portuguese ceramic tiles.
Or, you can learn about the ancient traditions of local winemaking at the Wine Library or dine on delicious meals made from fresh Douro Valley ingredients at the resort’s restaurant.
What Activities Can You Enjoy There?
- Go for a walk in the quiet woods to let your mind unwind and reach a state of relaxation.
- Aerial yoga classes allow you to stretch your body high in the trees.
- Take a trip to the historic town of Lamego, which is only 15 minutes away from the Six Senses resort. Walk up the steps to the ornate hilltop shrine and admire the view.
- Rent an electric bike and go exploring around the Douro Valley, past the vineyards and historic villages.
- Enjoy a wine tasting at one of the many local wineries to learn about the excellent local vintages. If you visit during wine
harvest month in September you can take a trip to the local vineyards and stomp the grapes!
- This is a popular area for birdwatching and you will have the chance to spot many stunning feathered species here.
- Try the “Forest Bathing” experience. It is a Japanese concept that includes taking a quiet walk in nature and opening up all of your senses to the smell, sound, colour and feel of everything around you.