Before hitting the gym to pump iron, it’s important to be workout ready. A great way to prepare your body for the intensity of exercise is to eat the right food.
Two combinations that are versatile, enjoyable and packed with goodness are eggs and peppers.
Eggs are one of the healthiest foods to enjoy, with the whites alone being rich sources of vitamins.
Packed with high quality protein and vitamins including B2, zinc, copper, iron and vitamin D, B6 and B13, no wonder they are a sports person’s ‘go to’ food.
Peppers give a colourful boost to dishes, and are loaded with vitamins. In particular, red peppers contain over 200% of your daily vitamin c intake, and are a great source of vitamin B6.
We’ve purposely included tabasco sauce in this dish, not just for its rich flavour, but because it contains capsaicin. This can help raise your body temperature and burn more calories.
Half a tin of chopped organic tomatoes
A pepper (preferably red)
2 x medium free-range eggs
• Combine chopped tomatoes with two splashes of tabasco, stir and cook for a minute in a microwave.
• While you’re waiting, take your red pepper, de-seed, hollow out and cut in half. Immediately fill each section with your spicy tomato mixture then crack an egg into the middle.
• Return to your microwaving, cooking for a further 30-40 seconds on high.
• Remove from microwave and crumble feta lightly on top.
• Return again to the microwave, this time for 30 seconds, or until the egg is cooked and whites are solid.
• Before serving, sprinkle chives and another splash of tabasco for a delicious kick!